Friday, August 22, 2008

Well, crap.

Had a crappy afternoon yesterday.

I left work early to get everything into my schedule.

Stopped to pick up my new glasses to find out that they've been delayed yet another day.

I was so irritable about that, I autopiloted past the exit for the allergist's office. I took the next exit and backtracked, but it probably added an unnecessary 10-15 minutes to the drive.

Signed in at the allergist's with only 2 minutes to spare before the deadline -- they need 30 minutes for a new serum set. Wound up waiting 15 minutes anyway, after which they told me they didn't have enough time to do the vial test and the shot, and the fact that I'd signed in on time didn't matter.

They did the vial test anyway, with the intention of me being able to pop in quicker next time for just the shot. But I reacted violently to one of the vials, so they wouldn't have been able to give me the shot yesterday anyway. For some reason, that did not make me feel any better about it.

The nurse recommended that I take an antihistamine before I come back next time -- if I have to take an additional antihistamine, then what the fuck am I paying for this Allegra prescription for?

She also told me that they'd prefer to do the shots twice a week, to start, which is just going to blow a huge hole in my schedule. They are, naturally, not open at any time that I'm not supposed to be at work.

In all, I wound up running twenty minutes or so late picking up the kids. Walked into the daycare, and could hear Penny crying for me all the way from the lobby -- turns out she'd been racing with a friend, tripped, and fell on the blacktop, skinning and bruising both knees and one hand. She was in so much pain she could barely stand, never mind walk. I had to carry her out to the car, then leave her to go back and get Alex. I felt kind of widgy about leaving her in the car, but what else could I have done?

At least it was hot-dog night, so I couldn't ruin dinner for the third night this week.

Being frustrated and grouchy is fuel for all kinds of other negative thoughts, better left unmentioned. By the time we were putting Penny to bed, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed, pull the covers over my head, and cry.

Today will be better.

It's a new day. The weather could not be more gorgeous. Penny's feeling better, and Alex was in a pretty good mood for most of the morning (excluding the part where I put him down and walked away to get dressed -- he let it be known that as soon as he learns how to dial a phone, he's contacting Child Protection Services, who will take him away to the Land of Free Ponies and Candy).

The concrete contractor finally called me back, and he did, in fact, have a good reason for not returning my call last week, and hopefully soon we will see about getting our driveway widened.

The eye doctor just called, and my glasses are finally in. (Three weeks after they were ordered... sheesh.)

I'm going to take a long lunch so I can pick up the glasses and get my allergy shot (hopefully - I took a Claritin along with my Allegra this morning) in addition to having lunch with Matt.

And I am going to the gym after work if it kills me.

No comments: