Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Forgot

I forgot to mention this, or more precisely, didn't have time when I was writing up the birthday party yesterday.

The kids were settling into the party room after their hour of jumping, and the jumping place employee who was helping with our party came in and started handing out a juice pouch to each of the kids -- it's one of the things they include in the package.

As soon as she put the little bag in front of Penny, I moved to intercept, but Penny was way ahead of me. She picked it up and held it out to the girl with an attitude I can only describe as imperious. "I can't have this," she said impatiently. "I'm diabetic."

I was really proud of her. It's tough to keep all the rules in mind, and she loves juice. It would've been easy to clutch at the bag and beg me or Matt to let her have it just this once... I probably would even have caved -- all the exercise was likely to keep her sugars fairly low for the rest of the day. But she didn't. The "no juice" rule has been internalized, and she obeyed it without so much as a word from Matt or I.

Back when she was diagnosed, I said, "By the time her birthday comes around, she probably won't even really remember a time before she was diabetic." That's probably not precisely true -- she certainly remembers the ambulance ride, and being in the hospital. But she has adjusted, even more than I'd expected she would.

No comments: