Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pre-K

Alex woke up at 4:30 this morning. I can't blame him; he had a dirty diaper, and that's not really conducive to sleep. I got up, changed him, and put him back to bed. Surprisingly, he fell back asleep within fifteen minutes or so.

I... did not. I stayed in bed, but I couldn't really get back to sleep. So I don't promise a lot of coherence today.




So Penny's soon-to-be new school had its pre-K assessments yesterday.

It was total chaos. The kids and their parents checked into the library and just milled around. Every so often, they'd get on a microphone that was only barely loud enough to carry over the noise and announce a kid's name, and a teacher would lead that kid off to a classroom for the actual evaluations.

Penny was gone for maybe fifteen minutes or so, and when she came back, we had a good half-hour to kill until our next meeting, so we took Penny over to the playground for a bit. She seemed to have a lot of fun, climbing around, even if she wasn't too interested in playing with the other kids.

After a bit, we had a meeting with a whole stack of people to discuss her 504 plan. (That's the care plan for disabled students -- it lays out exactly what the school, parents, and student are responsible for with regards to specialized medical care.) Matt and I were both braced for a fight -- we wanted some things that we'd been led to believe the school might argue with us about. But once we were in the meeting, they agreed to the things we wanted without so much as a murmur, and everything fell into place fairly rapidly.

Still, we were at the school until noon. Penny, who had been excitedly anticipating a trip to a "restaurant" for lunch, got hungry and tired enough to just want to go home to eat.




After dropping her off at daycare for the afternoon, I dropped by my eye doctor's office to see if my new glasses had come in yet. They hadn't, and the ophthalmologist called the lab in Richmond to find out why, since when she'd checked Monday, they were in the courier's hands.

Apparently, they'd been returned to the lab. She talked for a bit, then took my number and promised to call me as soon as she found out exactly what had happened.

She called me at work two hours later. Apparently, the courier had made nine stops, and then quit. Or got fired, or something - it was a confusing little tale. At any rate, they didn't finish the run. The lab manager, she told me, was going to get up at 5 this morning and drive a bunch of late orders up to Charlottesville, then come back down this way, and she swore she would call me the instant they arrived.

Charlottesville is a solid two or three hours away, and if he's making multiple delivery stops, I'm not really expecting them to show up before lunch. But they might be here in time for me to pick them up this afternoon. Fabulousness awaits!

(Also, this afternoon, I need to go to the allergist's office and get my first shot. They say to allow a good half-hour for a "vial test" for the first shot from any new batch of serum, so I'm probably leaving work at like 3:45 today if I'm going to pick up my glasses and get my allergy shot on my way to pick up the kids. Whee.)

No comments: