Friday, August 1, 2008

OMG WTF!

So my doctor's appointment yesterday ended up with not quite enough time for me to go to the gym before going to pick up the kids, and I didn't really want to pick them up early. So I stopped to kill some time at the Pepperidge Farm Outlet.

(I went in with the idea of picking up some individual-serving packs of goldfish crackers for Penny's birthday party. Does anyone think that's all I bought? Heh.)

Anyway, while I was in there, another woman came in. She was older but not old -- in her 50s or early 60s, maybe -- and well-dressed. I'd give good odds that she was from Kingsmill or Fords Colony or one of the other local high-on-the-hog golf communities. Moderately wealthy, is what I'm trying to communicate, here.

She stopped, just through the door, and stared in disbelief at the shelf with the Godiva selections. "Where are the regular boxes?"

"We're all out," said the shop clerk apologetically. "We'll probably get some more in a month or so, when they release their Christmas line."

"But I wanted to get a gift," the older woman complained. She picked up one of the four-chocolate gift boxes. "What's this mark?"

"We have to put that mark on all the marked down items, ma'am," said the clerk.

"I can't give a gift with this on it!" huffed the older woman. Well, no, probably not -- it's a fairly large X, done in black magic marker. It'd be pretty obvious you were picking up your gifts from the outlet store if you tried to give it to someone.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," said the clerk patiently. "They all have it."

"You never used to. Did you get a new manager?"

The clerk, apparently being a better person than I, just kept apologizing calmly and reiterating that it was policy to mark the discount boxes, and that no, they really didn't have any of the larger boxes. (I would have offered to direct her to a retail store with Godiva boxes, with a heavy subtext of, "...you cheap wench.")

The more I listened to the older woman, the more it occurred to me that the conversation belonged in Warcraft:

Ritchbich: WTB [Box of Chocolates]!
Saleslady: That item is out of stock.
Ritchbich: OMG WTF I NEED [Box of Chocolates] 4 MY ALT!
Saleslady: That item is Bind on Pickup.
Ritchbich: HOW DO I SND [Small Box of Chocolates] 2 MY ALT!
Saleslady: That item is Bind on Pickup.
Ritchbich: OMG WTF HAX0R!

Or maybe that's just me.

No comments: