Friday, August 8, 2008

Sweet Headache

I noticed a few days ago that my lips and the inside of my mouth felt tingly and slightly swollen, as if I'd eaten something extremely acidic or maybe something I was mildly allergic to. I considered the meal I'd just eaten and didn't see anything there I haven't had before. Maybe it was a stress reaction... the sensation faded after an hour or so, and I went about my way.

Later that evening, it came back. I hadn't eaten anything since dinner, though, except for the diet soda I have most nights. I checked the label, and discovered that the soda was sweetened with aspartame. (Much to my surprise -- I thought most soda was sweetened with Splenda these days.) I re-considered my dinner, and there was nothing artificially sweetened about it -- but I'd had a "juice drink" earlier that afternoon with aspartame in it.

Huhn. Well, okay, I decided I'd cut aspartame out of my diet for a week or so, and if the tingling didn't come back, I could try another diet soda at the end of it and if that provoked a reaction, well, I'd have my culprit. I went out and found myself a soda without aspartame to drink, and stopped sharing Penny's Crystal Light, and since I use Splenda for all my other fake-sugar needs, that's that, right?

Except I was at lunch just now with some people from work, and my lips started tingling. I was surprised, because I'd used saccharin in my iced tea (they didn't have Splenda). I even uncrumpled the package to make sure that Equal hadn't suddenly changed colors on me... Nope, saccharin. WTF?

And then it hit me: I'd had some chewing gum before lunch to stave off the snackies. When I got back to work, I checked the gum wrapper, and sure enough: aspartame.

Guess I've got my culprit.

Grocery shopping will be a hoot -- Penny needs to avoid real sugar if it can be helped, Matt has a fairly severe reaction to Splenda, and now I need to avoid aspartame. Whee! (Also, if anyone knows of a Splenda-based replacement for Crystal Light, let me know. I looked through three different stores and couldn't find one.)

Sigh.

2 comments:

Liz Brooks said...

I am totally DUMB. Karen pointed out that I could buy freaking Kool-Aid powder and mix it up with Splenda instead of sugar.

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz,

The only safe sweetener is stevia, find one without maltodextrin that has glutamate in it, as in MSG.

Check out
http://myaspartameexperiment.com
Graphic and concise.

Thanks for letting me post.