Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rules For Working At Home

I'm working from home today, because we've got a repair guy coming to take care of a few little jobs around the house, but the window they gave me for him to show up was "10-2" and rather than take potentially half a day off from work and get absolutely nothing accomplished, I decided I'd just work from home.

All the advice ever given on working from home is aimed at, more or less, avoiding the temptation to treat it as a day off just because you're not where your boss can see you. And I'm following it, more or less.

I'm wearing clothes that I would wear to the office. I even put on jewelry and my heeled sandals.

I set my work computer up in the dining room, where I can't see my personal computer or the TV.

I've got a solid plan for the work I want to get done today.

My cell phone is charged, and I remembered to forward my office phone to it when I left yesterday.

I started the morning with some e-mails (which documents that I started work on time) and agreed to a late-afternoon conference call (which documents that I'm not knocking off early).

Very industrious of me, I know.

Which, as long as I finish the work I want to get done today, leaves a bit of wiggle room in the schedule for running an errand or two and having lunch with Matt (maybe, if the repair guy is here and gone by lunchtime), and logging out right after that conference call to go to the gym.

No comments: