Thursday, August 7, 2008

Working Out

So I didn't get to have lunch with Matt, because the repair guy didn't show up until almost 11:30. He fixed the leaky faucet, but couldn't find anything wrong with our GFCI outlets that had popped and turned off like three times in a row a couple of weeks ago. (I'm not surprised, because they haven't done it since then.)

As long as he was there (and as long as I was having to pay for a minimum of 2 hours of labor anyway) I had him install some shelves that Matt had given me for my birthday that we hadn't gotten around to putting up because I didn't have a level to line them up and make sure they were straight.

But I got a fair amount of work done (working from home can actually be very productive, for certain tasks -- fewer interruptions). I really should take advantage of that ability more often -- at least once or twice a month. And when my afternoon conference call finally ended (of course it ran late, those things always do) I went down to the Y.

I didn't feel like going through the rigamarole of swimming, so I thought I'd give the stationary bikes a try. I set up my iPhone with a Firefly episode and managed 7.5 miles in 30 minutes. Which isn't very fast, but I had the bike on its lowest difficulty setting, which was almost no resistance at all. I was maintaining a pretty steady 80rpm, which isn't bad. But by about 25 minutes, my behind was killing me -- even the superwide padded seats are just murder. Next time I'll check out one of the recumbent bikes instead.

But my favorite part of being there was the guy who came in about the same time as me -- on the tall side, shaved head, muscular and fit, with a tough and gorgeous dragon tattoo that covered most of his leg -- who climbed onto the stair-master in front of my bike and then turned its TV on to... the Cartoon Network. It would only have been more precious if CN had been running Strawberry Shortcake instead of Spongebob Squarepants. Now there's a man has nothing to prove.

No comments: