Monday, August 4, 2008

The Rest of the Weekend

So, having waxed ecstatic about the results of my Day Of Cleaning, the rest of the weekend:

Friday evening, the whole family went to Matt's office's annual picnic. Penny has one of two reactions to large crowds of people: She shrinks back and tries to hide behind my leg and refuses to talk to anyone who she hasn't known for at least half her life; or she embraces the strangeness and is immediate best friends with everyone she sees and eager to be the center of attention.

This time, it was Door #2. She was excited to be there, she was thrilled to pet a dog, she was overjoyed to see I'd put strawberries on her dinner plate, she was excited to get her face painted, she was giddy to get to play in the pool, and she was desperate to participate in karaoke. (Her first choice: Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry", which she knows in slightly edited form from daycare. Matt nixxed it, though, and suggested she sing "Happy Birthday," which she did with enormous enthusiasm.)


(More pics over on flickr.)

I missed the swimming and karaoke, though -- Alex, while remarkably good, still started to get pretty cranky around 6:30. Luckily, we'd anticipated this, so I took him home, gave him a bottle, and put him to bed. It was nice that I got an hour or so to relax, but I'm sorry I missed the karaoke; it sounds like it was a hoot, and not just for Penny's performance.

Saturday morning, Penny and I got our hair cut again, and then went over to the store to pick up some school supplies, since it was Tax-Free weekend. (Alas, I didn't have the list of things required for Penny's school class, but they'd posted a few other schools' lists, and I picked up the things that seemed to be on most of them, and a few other things that, even if she doesn't need them for school, are still probably a good idea to have around the house.)

Sunday, my parents came over after lunch to babysit, and Matt and I drove over to campus to see The Complete History of America, Abridged. It was side-splittingly funny, and makes me even sadder that I missed The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Abridged (by the same author) last year or the year before.

So, all in all, a very nice and surprisingly relaxing weekend. (Which is good, because after the Toy Purging Initiative on Friday, my back and legs were killing me!)

No comments: