Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Backing Up

So: Kindergarten went very well. Penny's blood sugar was pretty low at lunch, but that wasn't unexpected. We'll figure out how to deal with it over time. She had pizza and chocolate milk for lunch, and was pleased as punch. The really telling bit is that this morning, I had not a single tear, whine, or request to stay home - she chattered happily all morning and didn't even look apprehensive when I kissed her goodbye and left her in her classroom! Whoo!

She did, unfortunately, run high all afternoon, last night, and into today. I suspect the pizza is at fault, so we may have to go back to packing a lunch for her. Dangit. I like the freedom of the school lunch. But at least she'll eat sandwiches now, so it's just another unit to add to the usual assembly line of lunches for Matt and I.

And in the kindergarten excitement yesterday, I forgot to talk about the long weekend!

It was a nice one. I'd been so frustrated about not getting to exercise that Matt got up at 8:30 (even though it was his "sleep-in" day) so I could go to the gym. (Alex had woken me up at 5; my joke for the rest of the day was, "Would you believe me if I said I got up at 5 and went to the gym?") Jokes aside, I appreciated it. I felt so much better after I got in my half-hour of biking! (Seriously. I keep thinking about trying to find one for the house so I could work out without having to factor in transportation time or childcare, but I'm afraid to find out how much it would cost.)

Just about the time I was back from that and changed clothes, my parents came over and took Penny and I shopping; they got her some clothes for school and a few school supplies and let her pick out a toy. After that, I took them out to lunch for Mom's birthday. It was nice to get to sit and talk with them without the kids interfering.

Sunday we went over to their house for a communal birthday party - Sam, Penny, Mom, and John's! There were two cakes -- a pineapple upside-down cake, which is Sam's absolute favorite, and a strawberry angelfood cake which had been "iced" with Cool Whip flavored with raspberries. (Penny bragged about having helped me make the pineapple cake, but since it had no icing, she was not interested in actually eating any. Which worked out fine, because angelfood cake and Cool Whip is much lower in carbs.) I took pictures, but haven't been able to post them yet. I'd meant to get to it this morning, but the mornings are pretty crazy.

Monday, we stayed home and relaxed all day. Whahoo! KT's 7th Sea game had a combat session, and Matt was awesome again and wrangled the kids while I was bashing heads. (And I did bash heads. I always like it when I manage to be effective in a game.)

Anyway, that was the weekend, and I think, despite all my fretting about it, that I'm going to settle into the new schedule okay. I just have to accept that it's like jello salad - you don't know how all the bits are going to fit until it starts to set up.

No comments: