Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Professionalism

(While I am in the kitchen, cleaning up after yet another meal that Penny has declared too yucky to eat...)

"Mommy, I'm making a surprise for you and Daddy."

"That's very nice of you, sweetie."

"Do you know why I'm making a surprise?"

"No, why?"

"Because you make chicken nuggets on Tuesdays, and I like them so much!"

Apparently, she is a budding psychiatrist.




(This morning, at 5:40 am...)

"Mommy, I want to get up."

"It's still sleepy-time, Penny. Go back to bed."

"But the long hand is on the twelve and the short hand is on the six."

"No, it isn't."

"It is in my room!"

"... Let's go see." Sure enough, her clock is set to 6. "Penny, did you move it?"

"...Yes."

Maybe she'll be a lawyer, instead.




The first sound that Penny deliberately copied and repeated back to us was a monkey noise. "Oo-oo-ah-ah!" Surprisingly, she learned that from me, not Matt.

Alex, on the other hand, has copied his first sound from my father, who taught him to say, "Uh-oh!"

I think Alex isn't going for a profession so much as an archetype: Trickster.

No comments: