Monday, September 29, 2008

Crash!

I used to have two metal shelves on the wall in the kitchen. They held ten wine glasses of various origin, a pewter wine goblet with a glass bowl, and two glass candlesticks with candles from our wedding service. I also had a fruit basket hanging from one of the shelves, which I knew wasn't the ideal place for it, but it worked well enough that I kept forgetting to go to the store and get a chain so I could suspend the basket from the ceiling and still reach it.

Notice that I said, "used to have."

Penny tried to get a banana out of the fruit basket yesterday at lunch, and it didn't occur to her to take the whole bunch out of the basket before yanking the one she wanted off. The basket jerked the shelf off the wall, and apparently as it fell, it knocked the other shelf off the wall, too.

Three wine glasses somehow managed to survive the fall. Everything else... got smashed to bits. Penny, too panicked to heed me when I told her not to move, ran across the broken glass -- in her bare feet -- to get to me. Miraculously, she did not get cut.

Seven wine glasses, a goblet, and two candlesticks makes for a very impressive mess, I must say.

And since Alex likes to play in the kitchen, I wound up going out to the grocery store to pick up a swiffer, because I didn't trust the broom to have gotten all the little bits up.

So Matt and I pretty much spent the rest of the day being mildly ticked at Penny.

But on the plus side, I've been meaning to get a set of shelves for the kitchen and not getting around to it for a year, now. Now I have incentive, I guess.

Whee.

No comments: