Thursday, September 4, 2008

Dangit.

Penny's sugars were fine last night and this morning, and she ate a normal-sized breakfast, and I gave her her shot, and took her to school.

And after yesterday's fantastic drop-off, today she was clingy and a little whiny, and while she didn't start crying, I did have to more or less pry her off my neck. I wondered why.

I hadn't been at work for a whole half-hour before the school nurse called to tell me that Penny had complained of feeling low (she always goes for "low", since it carries the possibility of an extra snack) and the glucose test came back at over freaking 400.

Seriously? It's like the breakfast shot was just water. It's exactly like that, in fact -- the math confirms it (assuming that 25g of carbs is equivalent to about 150 points of BG).

I told the nurse to wait until about 9:30 just to be sure that the insulin in her system gets processed, and then test her again, and do a correction.

The insulin cartridge is supposed to be swapped out this weekend -- they lose effectiveness after about 4 weeks -- but I'm wondering if perhaps the current cartridge didn't decide to crap out early on us. It would explain why she's been so crazy high the last few days.

Of course, if the insulin isn't working, then the correction at 9:30 or so won't do any good, either. We'll see, I guess. If she's still running crazy high and not coming down by 10:30, I'll run home and get a fresh cartridge to try.

And either way, I'll swap the cartridge out at snacktime today. 'Cause this is just ridiculous. She'd been doing so well, the last couple of weeks.




And tonight, after she finishes her snack, I'm taking her down to Norfolk for a class on insulin pumps. (Penny still insists that she does not want a pump, that she wants to keep taking her shots. I've told her that she doesn't have to get a pump if she doesn't want one, but that we're just going to go to the class to learn about them anyway, in case she changes her mind.)

That class runs from 5:30 - 8:30. They'll feed us, at least, but I suspect Penny is going to be really bored with it by the time it's done. And since we're driving back from Norfolk, I doubt we'll be home much before 10. Whee...

Today isn't going to go into my book as one of my favorite days ever, I'm pretty sure.

No comments: