Monday, February 22, 2010

Excellent Weekend

I had a really excellent weekend.

I stopped at J.C. Penney's, intending to pick up another pair of jeans to go with my size 12s. Just for kicks, I tried on the 10s... and they fit! (Snugly, and with a bit of muffin-topping, but no more snugly than the 12s were when I got them back in November or December.)

And I went to the Chocolate Affair with Vicki Saturday night. Which blew my diet a bit lot, I expect, but was soooo worth it.

I slept in a bit Sunday morning, and woke up with an idea for how to set up my characters for a problematic scene in the story I've been headworking for the last week or so.

And in the afternoon, I got an email from Torquere Press that started off: "I read your story, and I'd like to take it for publication..." and went on to discuss the general terms, including the royalty percentages to be paid quarterly. Can I say that again? Royalty percentages. It's not a huge press, but even if it only sells 10 copies of the novella over the 2 years of the contract, I'll still be a paid author. That made my day. My week. Possibly even my whole month. Professional publication has been a huge item on my bucket list for at least twenty-five years, now.

(Of course, it'll be interesting when it's time to share this wonderful news with my family, as it's not exactly the most family-friendly thing I've ever written. But that's a bridge that I'll cross when I get to it. I may wait until I've signed the contract and have a solid publication/availability date.)

And today, of course, I'm not at work. Which timing couldn't be better if I'd planned it that way.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Woo! I hope it's the same thing you sent me because I loved it. I have always loved your male characters so I was not surprised I loved these guys too. I have been meaning to get back to you with some thoughts I had. I will get on that this week :) I am so excited for you. I can't wait to read more.

Liz Brooks said...

Yes, it's the same story I sent you. Glad you liked it - I'm working on another story in the same world setting now. I'll be sure to let you know when they've posted the story for sale! :-)