Tuesday, April 13, 1999

Archive - 13 April 1999

I'm almost out of puzzles. ::sigh:: So much for that experiment.

It's not even 8:00 yet, and I've already had a couple of compliments on my new jumper. So it must have been worth what I paid for it. (I love linen. It looks so fresh.) Yay, KT, for helping me decide which jumper to buy!

I got a cable for my Zaurus that actually works yesterday! Now I don't have to worry about losing all my data, because I can make backups! Now I just have to figure out what to do with the infrared cable that doesn't work. I don't think I can get my money back, but is it worth the effort of sending it back to get a replacement?

We were going to play volleyball yesterday after work, but only Jeremy, Matt and I showed up, so we just went home instead. While we were at the park, a guy in a truck who appeared to work for the park drove up and fussed at us for speeding and snottily informed us that we were on our honor to pay for the parking if we stayed. (Why did he clarify "if you stay"? Was he implying that he would have us thrown out if we didn't pay the parking?) I tell you - I had a dollar out and was ready to go pay right up until this guy showed up. What a self-important little toad.

After we left the park, Matt and I stopped at the outlet mall to look at necklaces. I've lost enough weight that my wedding and engagement rings are getting pretty loose (if I'm cold, I can shake them off my hands) and I thought it would be nice to put them on a chain until I'm done losing weight. That way, I won't have to have them resized every other month. So Matt was thinking of getting me the chain for our anniversary (which is in five days), but he wanted to know what kind of chain I want. Boy, am I glad we went to the outlet mall. By the time we'd established that I want a 24-inch chain, the style I liked was priced at $450! It's just a gold chain! Sheesh! Luckily, the place at the outlet mall displays the retail price, but takes 60% off. (They want you to know what an amazing deal you're getting. All it tells me is the kind of markup we're dealing with, since the outlet store isn't exactly about to go out of business.) Matt was beside himself. He kept muttering that he wasn't going to pay as much for a plain chain as he'd paid for the engagement ring! I told him he could get me a silver chain in the same style instead, which would be lots cheaper, but I'm not sure he believed me.

I recently signed up for AOL's Instant Messenger. As a rule, I loathe AOL as a company because of the way they treat their customers and their bizarre business practices, but this is a pretty slick little program! Of couse, it's annoying that it's bundled with Netscape, and in order to get to the preferences section where you can tell it not to start up every time you reboot, you have to sign up. (That was convoluted, wasn't it?) But the program itself is pretty cool. I signed up because it's one of the few ways to get in touch with my boss when he's stuck on the phone for most of a day, but I mostly use it to talk to Matt in the middle of the day. If you've got it as well, feel free to say Hi! (Yeah, I'm going to make you look up my e-mail address.)

No comments: