Thursday, April 15, 1999

Archive - 15 April 1999

Had a busy afternoon yesterday. We went to the gym after work and Matt went to water aerobics while I rode the reclining bike for half an hour. I actually punched in a varying intensity program this time. Whew, was that a workout! I was still breathing funny when I went to bed! The thing that weirded me out the most, though, was that the mechanism in the bike started making these little jumps - I don't know how to describe it better than that - and it would jog the backrest a little. For just a while, there, I thought it was my heartbeat, and that was a little spooky. But this time I remembered to bring my little walkman, and once I figured out that I had to hook it to the front of my shorts to keep it out of the way, it helped a lot. I'm thinking of going to the library and seeing if they've got any books on tape, because I just can't read a book while operating this thing. (Just as I was finishing up, some girl came in who looked like she was going to try it. I wanted to stick around to see how she did it, but I suspect she was just not going to use the arm levers.) And on Monday I've got an appointment to learn how to use the weight-lifting equipment. (How dumb is this? It's weight-lifting equipment, for pete's sake! But they won't let you use it until you've gone through their orientation session.) I don't really care about lifting weights right now, because I'm in such lousy shape in general, but I figure I might as well get it over with. And maybe weight-lifting would be a good warm-up or cool-down to the bike. Hmm. I'll have to think about this.

After we left the gym, we went by our lot, and they've dug some holes in our dirt! Wheeee!!!! Yeah, okay, I know, it's kindof pathetic to get so excited about trenches where the load-bearing walls are going to be, but hey, we're still entertaining hopes that this house might actually be done when they said it would be. (Yeah, right.)

Then we went out to dinner, because 1) I had tons of points left over, and 2) I didn't feel like cooking, and 3) I really wanted Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad. I keep thinking I'll look up the recipe for that dressing at Top Secret Recipes and figure out how to make a low-fat/low-cal version, and then I can make the salad for myself at home without the chicken bits, and it wouldn't be 15 points for a salad, for pete's sake.

So that was my evening. Exciting, huh? Tonight's going to be even better: We're going to go get Matt measured for a tuxedo for a wedding in May, and then - prepare yourselves for the shock - we're going to go home and have dinner! I told you it was exciting.

But ya know what? I really look forward to Thursdays, because we don't have anything going on...

No comments: