Tuesday, April 20, 1999

Archive - 20 April 1999

Oh, god, I'm turning into a gym puppy. I had an appointment yesterday evening to be shown the weight-lifting equipment. I didn't really care about lifting weights - I just made the appointment because it was something I wanted to get out of the way, in case I changed my mind one day.

So I got to the gym and met Troy, who was going to show me all the machines. I had no idea how many of them there were. Forty different weight-lifting machines, each to work a different muscle group, each with its own adjustable levels and pads and seats... "No way," I thought, "am I going to do this. Too much to remember." But as we moved along the row, I found myself thinking things like, "Hey, this would really help to tighten up my arm flab," and "I wonder if this would help shape my [insert body part here]?" I caught myself asking training questions, and figuring out how to divide my admittedly limited workout schedule between the weights and the cardiovascular equipment.

You're my friend, so I'm going to beg you now: If I attempt Tae Bo, just shoot me in the foot or something. The pain might bring back my brain.

Yesterday morning, I talked to my friend Nancy for a bit - this is not an unusual occurrence - and yesterday afternoon, Nancy went home sick. I'd been sniffling all day as a result of allergies, but by 6:00, I had developed a sore throat. I couldn't believe it. How dare I get sick right before I was planning on taking time off! But I'm feeling better today, thank heavens.

We got more anniversary cards yesterday. In one mailbox, we had cards from Matt's mom, dad, and grandparents, and from my grandparents. And while I was at the gym, UPS delivered a box from our friend Karen, who had sent us some house numbers in the shape of dragons for our new house! (Which reminds me, I should add Karen to the Who's Who page, since she's been found again...)

I get distracted so easily. Now Karen's on the Who's Who page, and there's a useless factoid thing down at the bottom of the journal. But it includes my diet progress, so maybe I'll be able to stop obsessing about it here. Maybe not. Who knows? Yeah, I know, no-one ever reads those things, but it makes me feel better.

My turn to make dinner tonight, and we haven't had Chicken and Caramelized Onion in just weeks! (Okay, two.) Now there's an accomplishment. I don't usually decide what to make for dinner until I've already started cooking!

Jeremy, with whom I happen to share an office, has a new toy - a digital video camera. He's hooked it up to a server, and if you have RealPlayer G2 (or later) and if the server is working right, you can see whatever the camera is pointed at today at this site. Last night, when Matt and I came in to get on the MeadeHall, I turned the camera and pointed it at me. It was a little disturbing at first - especially since I turned it before I finished eating dinner, and watching someone eat is moderately disgusting at the best of times. The camera had about a 30-45 second delay, as well, so whatever I did on camera didn't show up until quite a bit later. After a while it got to be kindof fun - I'd never seen myself sneeze before. Or laugh. Or type. (And damn, but I type fast - but it makes my fingers look like fat pink spiders. It's kindof gross.) I also noticed that I have a little bit of an overbite (but not enough to really look bad, thank heavens) and that my "at rest" facial position looks moderately irritable, so I look much more attractive when I'm smiling. Interesting - maybe that's why Matt asks me if I'm OK so frequently. I should smile more.

No comments: