Wednesday, April 14, 1999

Archive - 14 April 1999

Owch. I pinched a nerve in my neck, or maybe my shoulder. Or maybe I just slept on it wrong. All I know is that my neck and shoulder feel stiff and ache-y, and have for the last day or so. Yesterday at Weight Watchers, it was hurting so bad I could hardly hold my head up. When I got home, I laid down on the bed with the heating pad, but it doesn't seem to have improved much today. ::sigh::

So yesterday was almost a complete wash, as far as work went. I spent the morning discovering that I'd locked the card, and half the afternoon discovering that I needed a different reader. (For those of you for whom none of that makes sense, it's like this: I spent the morning trying to open a door with a key that had been filed down, and the afternoon putting the correct key in the wrong door to the right building.) Hopefully today will be more productive.

The last of my Easter candy is finally gone. Maybe now I'll be able to get back on track with my diet and stay there. Or maybe not. KT's throwing a party on Saturday, and Sunday is our (Matt's and my) first anniversary... Next week! Next week, I will definitely stick to my diet! (I'm starting to sound like a Cathy cartoon, aren't I?) But I have every intention of going to the gym today. I haven't decided yet whether I'll do water aerobics or the bike, but I popped something in my heel again this weekend and it's been kindof tender since, so I'm thinking it might be the bike just because it puts less pressure on my feet. Also, I like the bike. I can go at my own pace and it's not crowded! This time, though, I'll try to remember to bring my tape player and headphones with me so I'm not just listening to other people's breathing and watching Hollywood Squares. I think I could really get into this reclining bike thing. I actually thought about going to the gym after Weight Watcher's last night, but I didn't have my sneakers with me, and I knew once I got home it would never happen. (It's just as well, the way my neck is feeling.)

I've got a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks. Time for the annual exam again. Bleah. Time to get the pap smear (yuck) and be weighed and prodded and poked and lectured. Time to whine about my laundry list of ailments in the more-or-less vain hope that I'll get some medication that works, for once.

Tell me this: I'm hypo-thyroidic. What that turns out to mean is that every day for pretty much the rest of my life, I'll have to take a pill to balance my thyroid levels. Not all that awful, as far as chronic conditions go. Once a year, they take some blood and test it to make sure I'm still getting the correct dosage. Why, then, do I get my prescriptions for these pills in six-month increments? I'll have to ask for a prescription in two weeks, during my annual exam, and then again in six months, just before I'm due to have my blood tested again. And if my prescription is wrong, they'll have to recall the old one and issue a new one. Why bother? Maybe I can convince my doctor to 1) move the blood test to the same time as my annual exam, and 2) call a whole year's prescription into the pharmacy when the results come back. Even that won't work as well as it should, because my annual exams are usually just a little more than a year apart, because the insurance company won't pay for more than one pap smear in a year. At least 365 days must go by between exams. Not 360, not 364, but 365. Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Oh, well. I'm going to go have some breakfast and read today's journal entries, and then get to work. Y'all have a good day!

No comments: