Wednesday, April 28, 1999

Archive - 28 April 1999

Man, yesterday was fantastic!

Matt found out early in the day that Ben and Jerry's was having a free-cone promotional, so we planned to go. Luckily, I'd packed myself a very low-point lunch, so I had plenty of room in my diet to accommodate ice cream. Especially free ice cream. Especially free good ice cream.

I had a pretty good day at work, too. I had to pester Jeremy for a fair amount of help, but I got yesterday's goal accomplished. Then my task lead dropped by to see how things were going, and when I told him I was sure I'd have everything ready for the May 7th deadline, he admitted that the deadline had been moved back to the end of May anyway. Hurrah! So if I finish early (which seems to be a reasonable assumption, at this point) I'll have more time to work on my journal.

After work, I went to Weight Watchers, and discovered that I've lost another pound and change. Finally, maybe I'm off the plateau! I decided on some new rules for myself, too: If I lose more than two pounds in a week, I'm allowed to go home after weigh-in and skip the meeting. If I gain more than two pounds in a week (it's only happened once in the seven months I've been going) I have to leave after weigh-in and go to the gym, instead.

Then I went home to a clean clean clean house! The cleaning fairies arrived! Hurrah! When I lived at my parents' house and my room was a mess, I thought, When I'm out on my own, I'll actually clean. When I lived with two roommates in college and our place was a pigsty, I thought, When I've got my own place, I'll clean. When my apartment through grad school was dirty, I knew, It'll matter more that the place is clean when it's not so ugly. (What can I say? The apartment that hadn't had new carpet or appliances since the mid-70's was cheaper.) When I got a good job and a decent apartment, I thought, No one's ever here except me. It doesn't matter. But I finally had to come to the conclusion that I'm simply a rotten housekeeper and always will be. But I like living in a clean house. I want my friends to come over. So I finally hired a cleaning service. Now that my student loan payments are almost done (I'm writing the last check tonight!) and that awful hypnosis service is going to stop billing me (long story) I feel I can afford it. Yesterday was my first day of service, and I was astonished. For the rest of the night, Matt and I kept marveling at it. They cleaned things that never even occurred to me that should be cleaned! Oh yeah, this was worth it! And when we get our house, I'll carry over service, and the new house will never get as bad as this apartment has been for the last year or two!

And when Matt came home from his weekly post-work basketball game, we dashed off to Ben and Jerry's for free ice cream! Lots of other people had heard as well, and we only just made it! We were one of the last people allowed through the door! Mmmm - Strawberry Kiwi Sorbet. We strolled along the sidewalk, eating our ice cream and peering into shop windows. It was lovely.

And to make matters even better, the cat decided - for whatever reason - to stay outside all night and not scratch at the bedroom window, so I got to sleep all the way through the night.

So I'm in a really good mood today. Maybe even good enough to work on my webpage this afternoon, if I meet my work goal by noon... You never know...

No comments: