Thursday, May 15, 2008

Better

Feeling mostly better today. Thanks to everyone who left well-wishes in the comments or my inbox.

It helps that Alex slept last night. He had some trouble getting to sleep (I expect we're still going to have to sleep-train him at some point) but once he went down, he barely cracked an eye when I fed him at 10, and didn't wake up again until 5:15 this morning. It's amazing what six hours of uninterrupted sleep can do for a person.

When he woke up, I decided I needed to go to the bathroom before I picked him up. When I came out of the bathroom, Matt was hovering outside Alex's door, waiting to see if he'd go back to sleep. "I've got him," I whispered. "Just had to pee first."

"You make the bottle," Matt said.

"Sweetie... it's after five."

Matt looked blearily at his watch. "...Oh." He shuffled back to bed.




Sad though I am that Penny's honeymoon period is ending, it was inevitable, and the only question was when it would happen. But yesterday, for the first time in probably two weeks, her sugars were under 150 before every single meal -- even despite the cupcake she had at the birthday party in her class!




I made homemade sweet potato french fries last night. (The idea is to get Penny eating sweet potato, which is about the same carbs as regular potatoes, but more nutritious. I thought she'd enjoy them baked, especially since I topped it with butter and syrup, but she didn't. This was my next approach.)

Mistake #1: I used olive oil, which smokes and burns at a much lower temperature than most other oils, and didn't check them regularly while they were cooking, so they burnt on one side. Mistake #2: I made them early and then let them sit too long, so they got kind of floppy and soggy.

I half-expected Penny to tell me she didn't like them. I was ready to toss them and make some mashed potatoes.

Never underestimate the appeal of french fries for little kids. Taking the time to cut them as close as possible to the size and shape of fast food fries paid off: Penny got a healthy dollop of ketchup on her plate, and ate a whole handful of the burnt fries.

And actually, if you could ignore the carbon flavor, they were pretty good.

But next time, I'll use canola oil and cook them last.




Today is lunch-date day. Matt and I are going to Ichiban, which is a Japanese place near his office. (We always eat near his office. That's where most of the good restaurants are.)

Mmm, edamame and the teriyaki bento box. (Except I'll pick all the fake crabmeat out of the california rolls. I'm trying to get better about seafood, but I just can't get enthused about sealegs.)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I don't know if this would work for you, but it was suggested to me last night by the incredibly perky lady in front of us at the grocery store (she of whom I explained that a 4 pound box of strawberries for $6.99 is a better deal than a 2 pound box for $7, even if you throw more than half of them away) suggested baking the sweet potato fries and serving them with raspberry jelly.