Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Scratch Dirt Over It

Yesterday wasn't horrible, but it sure could've been better.

Daycare forgot to give Penny her shot after breakfast. Which is annoying, but we can kind of understand it -- apparently she picked at her breakfast for well over an hour before deciding she was done, and they're running shorthanded while the director is off on her honeymoon. The thing that really made Matt and I wince was this fundamental lack of understanding: When Matt told them to go ahead and give her the breakfast shot before lunch, and then the regular lunch shot after lunch as usual, they asked, "Should we give her some milk with that?"

...Milk is what they're instructed to give her if she's running low. Having forgotten her shot, she was running high. Okay, we don't expect every joe off the street to know these things, but they've been taking care of Penny's diabetes for over three months now! You'd think they'd have assimilated some basic understanding of what's actually going on!

Truly, as my mother-in-law wondered after immersing herself in the deluge of information and formulas for calculation: How do stupid people manage this disease?

It was a slow day for me; I started moaning about a third-dimensional warp somewhere around 10am. It was raining, so I couldn't take a walk, and even though I was quite productive and got a lot of work done, the clock just continued to crawl.

Penny's doctor called just after I got home to talk about her weekly chart. He'd tried to reach me at the office first, per my request. "Did you know your voicemail message says you're still on maternity leave?" he asked me. Oops.

Baths, dinner (just hot dogs -- I try to plan super-fast dinners for bath nights), put Alex to bed... He whined and cried and then screamed for more than half an hour before finally succumbing to sleep.

I did have a pleasant snuggle with Penny before she went to bed -- usually she climbs up on the bed with me and wants to play games; last night she'd brought a book with her and she leaned against me and flipped through the book to look at the pictures while I read my book, and then I read the first chapter of her book to her.

[Begin geektalk]
We logged into WoW, and K.T. and Kevin offered to take Matt and I on a Heroic Ramparts run. We picked up Elizabeth to off-tank, and started off quite well, but then we started getting tired or our luck ran out and we wiped three times in about half an hour, and then I had to log out, so we called it a night. I actually don't feel too bad about the wipes; mostly I'm just confused about why the guy I was supposed to pull refused to take my aggro. Twice! Though I did manage one three-trap chain, which is pretty much my limit. And at one point, Kevin popped up the damage and healing stats, and I actually appeared to be pulling my weight on the DPS scale, which was a nice change of pace. I'd been worried that my more or less laughable gear would dump me below the tank.

Before we continue the run, though, I need to put together the shot rotation macro I found and practice using it. It should help enormously.
[End geektalk]

After I logged out, I went upstairs to check Penny, and found her sugars high, despite the new dinnertime correction the doctor had suggested. I gave her the shot, but it bothered us that she was so high for no apparent reason.

As I was putting Alex back to bed, I realized: she'd had a banana with dinner and we'd forgotten to include it in our calculations. *quick mental math* - yep, that would account for it. We were mad at ourselves for missing it -- but I was also relieved. High blood sugars aren't always immediately explainable (invisible things can affect it, like an immune system boost to fight off a virus, or stress, or growth spurts and other hormonal shifts) but she's so unstable right now anyway that it's reassuring to chalk it up to an obvious cause like food. Even if we forgot it and had to feel stupid.

On the plus side, both kids slept soundly all night, and the weather is quite pretty today. As K.T. has been fond of saying lately -- scratch dirt over yesterday; it's done. Move on. Maybe today will be better.

No comments: