Saturday, May 10, 2008

What It Feels Like

Last night, Penny and I were snuggling before she went to bed, and she was being unusually quiet.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No."

"What's wrong?"

"High." We'd tested her blood sugar a few moments earlier, and she was running quite high. It was too early to correct, though, since she'd had her shot from dinner only an hour and a half earlier.

"I know you're running high right now, sweetie, but we can't do a correction now. If you're still high when I get ready for bed, we'll give you some more medicine then." She nodded. "What does it feel like when you're high?"

She paused, thinking. I didn't expect her to be able to answer; I'd asked the question mostly just to make her think about it so she could learn to recognize her own symptoms.

But then she said, "It feels... like I'm going to get lost."

No comments: