Monday, March 7, 2011

Bouncy

So, pretty good weekend. Had a nice, if brief, visit with Vicki on Friday; enjoyed visiting with my brother-in-law and his wife on Saturday and Sunday (I got new book recommendations from them, so whoo!), took Penny to a birthday party on Sunday, and then spent an hour or so with Braz and Adin and gang Sunday night.

Of course, the birthday party involved not only cake but pizza and chips, so Penny's blood sugars kept sliding high last night and this morning, and I expect them to continue to do so for the rest of today. Stupid pizza. But she only gets it occasionally, so it's something to just live with, really. If I'd thought about it, I'd have suggested that Matt increase her Lantus (long-term insulin) dosage for the day, just to help counteract the Pizza Effect, but I didn't think of it, so it's too late now. We'll just end up giving her a lot of corrections.

And I managed to finish the read-through on my story Friday evening, so I got it out to my beta readers before the weekend, which turned out to be a good thing, as two of them responded that their weekends were shaping up to have plenty of time for reading. (I even got comments back from one of them Sunday night, though she didn't have a lot to say.)

In the meantime, I played some WoW, did some reading, and tried to jot down notes on a new story plot, though I'm kind of getting hung up on some of the details -- do I go for the more complex twists and try for a novel, or take the simpler route and stick to my preferred novella length? (It's going to make a difference fairly early in the story, so to avoid massive amounts of unnecessary rewriting, I'd like to decide on this now.) I'm also not sure how I'm going to resolve the B plot without resorting to the sort of deus-ex-machina trickery I despise.

So... I'm pondering. Jotting notes. Drawing plot trees. That kind of thing.

I may be on tap to go up to DC/NoVA later this month for a three or four day stretch, so maybe those evenings will be good for writing. Take me out of my comfort zone (literally) and help me think outside the box. (The good news about going to DC as opposed to some of the other places they might send me is that it's close enough to drive, which means I don't have to be quite as restrictive with my luggage as I would if I were flying, and I can bring both the work laptop and my Mac.)

No comments: