Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Buh.

Alex had another perfect potty day yesterday! As they get more frequent, I'm sure I'll stop mentioning them. But for the time being, it's pretty awesome that he's doing so well. I can see the light at the end of the diaper tunnel.
He actually argued with me, this weekend, when I wanted to put him in a pullup for his nap. They've quit using pullups for him at daycare entirely, and he was determined to stay in his big boy underpants for his nap at home, too. What I couldn't make him understand is that, at daycare, he's on a cot, and if he needs to get up and go to the bathroom, he can. But at home, he's still in a crib that he can't climb out of without help, and the bathroom is farther away.

But I expect we'll need to graduate him to a big boy bed (or at least take the side off the crib) sometime in the next month or so, to let him attend to his own bathroom business.

***

I did the taxes over the weekend, finally. (I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out how to declare the $400 I made in royalties and for my editing side-job.) Then, because the math worked out to us owing instead of getting a refund, I pulled out last year's taxes and compared them, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten something. But the upshot is that last year's raises (pitiful though they were), combined with a big drop in our mortgage interest, put us into a new tax bracket. So yeah, we're owing a fairly large chunk of taxes. Ow.

But I admit that it's a problem that stems from good things, not bad ones. What am I going to do, cry because we make more money than we used to and owe less on our house? How dumb would that be? It's just one of those things that's a problem because we weren't expecting it. Guess I need to start doing some voluntary extra withholding.

The good news is that we hit the highest tax bracket for the state before we even got married (pretty much anyone employed full-time and making more than minimum wage is in the highest tax bracket for Virginia) so I can hope we'll still get a refund back from our state taxes. It won't be enough to cover what we owe the feds, but it'll put a dent in it, at least.

***

Not much else to say today. I want to go back to bed for another couple of hours, and then wake up and read for a while, and then go back to bed.

Given the ache in my neck, I think I have just a touch of a cold. Not enough to make me burn my precious vacation time to call in sick, not enough to even make me feel particularly bad. Just an ache in my neck and persistent tiredness.

Ah, well.


No comments: