Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Living

I work for a living.

It's an odd phrase, isn't it? "For a living."

I work for money. I work so that I have money to pay for my family to have a place to live and food to eat and clothes to wear. I work so that I have money to buy fun things to do when I'm not working.

I work so that when I'm not working, I can live.

It would actually be pretty cool if, all the time I was working, I actually wasn't living? Like, my body would go into some sort of stasis, and I wouldn't age. So that I would get all the "living" that was coming to me.

This is why people talk about doing what they love for their work. Because you spend a ridiculous amount of your time working instead of living. So working might as well be living. Or at least some portion of it. Right?

I wish I could figure out how to make the things I love into enough money that I could do that. I could take a pretty big pay cut, pretty happily, if I could love my job.

But so far, it's not possible. So I'm still working for a living.

No comments: