Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Late Start

Alex had a doctor's appointment this morning at 9, to make sure his ear infections had cleared up and, assuming they had, get his 12-month vaccinations.

Luckily, Matt's office was undergoing some work this morning and everyone was warned not to come in until at least 8:30, so he was available to take her to school. Otherwise, I'd have been lugging Alex along for that dropoff.

Alex was fine while we were in the house, fine in the car, fine walking up to the doctor's office, fine in the elevator... and then we got into the doctor's office and he acquired a sadditude. (It's like an attitude, but sad.) Horrible mother that I was, I put him down! Twice!

He calmed down a little after he'd been weighed and his temperature taken, mostly by dint of bribery -- I held him and fed him pieces of cracker and banana. He wasn't too keen on the doctor examining him, but didn't bust out The Lip. (Also: brushing cracker crumbs off of clothes is apparently the funniest thing to happen so far today. Whenever I stopped, he'd twist around and brush me off, just to keep it going.)

And then it was time for the vaccinations, and that was very sadmaking, indeed. But he'd mostly cooled off by the time we got to the elevator, and was calm and cool by the time we were in the car, and by the time we got to daycare, he was so happy to be there and oh look! toys! and... Mom? Who's Mom? We don't know anyone with that name.

So I'm at work an hour and a half late, which isn't too big a deal since I worked an extra hour Monday. I'm trying to decide if I bust out some alternate exercise today (lift weights at my desk, or walk around the circle) instead of going to the gym, to cut my lunch break short, or work through and go to the gym after dinner. We'll see how I feel about it when lunch rolls around, I suppose.

No comments: