Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crazy

I had book club last night. Several people couldn't make it, so there were only five of us, but we had a good time anyway.

Then I got home, took a shower, and sat down to finish reading a chapter I'd started earlier in the day, and before I knew it, it was after midnight.

So when the alarm went off this morning, it was extra-painful. Penny and Alex did their part by sleeping in until 6:30. Eventually, I dragged myself upright, did my stretches for my knee, and got dressed. I took over getting Alex dressed for Matt so he could go get a shower, and headed downstairs.

Alex was in a wonderful mood this morning -- he didn't fuss when I had to put him down, contentedly toddling along after me, or wandering off on his own cognizance, which was a nice change of pace. I got everyone's lunches out, took my medicine, made sure Penny had her shoes on, and sat down on the couch to check my email.

Alex toddled over to me with a book. I'm all about encouraging books, so I picked him up and started to read to him.

"Mooooom!"

"What is it?"

"I'm still hungry. Can I have something else?"

"Um... Sure. How about a piece of cheese?"

"Okay!"

"Can you get it yourself? I'm reading to Alex."

"Okay!"

A few minutes later, Matt came downstairs, and Alex crawled across the couch to him. Penny was only just finishing up her cheese, and I glanced up at the clock.

Dammit, it was already 7:23. I like to start chivvying everyone into their coats at 7:20, and Penny still needed to get her shot and put her backpack together.

Have you ever noticed that when you're running late, all the other cars on the road are being particularly leisurely? We even got behind one car that apparently didn't like the look of the traffic light, or something, as we sat through an entire rotation of the signals. Grr!

Somehow, I managed to make up enough lost time that we got to Penny's school before the bell rang, which got my day back on track, but I still feel harried and rushed, which is frustrating.

It doesn't help that we've got six software apps in three deliveries between today and Tuesday, along with all the attendant documentation, and naturally, most of it is still being worked on. Just once, I'd like to have a delivery that didn't involve an enormous last-minute rush.

No comments: