Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breathe

My boss stopped into my office yesterday to tell me that he's planning on about three proposals in the next six weeks, so I should brace to be called on for technical editing.

And that he ended up in the hospital last week (he has a heart condition) and his doctor has told him in no uncertain terms that if he doesn't want longer and more frequent hospital stays, then he needs to stop making excuses about why he can't get any exercise and just do it.

Which was by way of telling me that he's going to be working on delegating more, and that I should expect to be taking work home with me.

I think he seriously underestimates the amount of thumb-twiddling time I have at work, but I suppose we'll see. In any case, it sounds like I'm going to need to cull my bookmarks and feeds again, for my own sanity, because I'm going to have less time to keep up with them.

I did a mini-purge a few weeks ago. I realized that there were a number of feeds that, when I saw they'd updated, I winced and whined and put off reading them -- and seriously, why would I keep something around that doesn't make me happy? Because one out of every twenty posts was useful or amusing? Not good enough. Buh-bye.

If my boss's prediction of additional effort is correct (sometimes his predictions fall through, so we'll see) then I'm attacking the next set of feeds: The ones that I only skim. BoingBoing is full of weird and wondrous things, but I only actually read maybe one in ten posts. There are comics that I only find funny once in a while, or that post not only comics but long rambling messages from the author that I'm largely uninterested in. The gaming blogs are occasionally helpful, but mostly just detritus that I sort through. All of which is fine if I have time on my hands, but if I don't... I don't want to see it.

I barely have enough space to breathe right now. If my schedule gets more crowded, then something will have to drop out to make space for it.

No comments: