Monday, January 19, 2009

Runrunrun

So: Good weekend, if busy.

Penny had a fantastic time helping me make popcorn balls Friday evening, and people seemed to enjoy them at the Mismas party.

Popcorn Balls

The Mismas party was fun. I got to meet a few new people, and we had good food and Alex didn't completely obsess over the stairs, so I actually got to chat. So all in all, success!

Picture shamelessly stolen from Jeremy

Then we had Jess over to spend the night, and that was actually quite fun. The girls kept each other entertained, for the most part, and they were actually very well-behaved, and they both slept until well past 6:30. They were both kind of ticked with us when KT and Kevin showed up Sunday to take Jess home.

Morning Excitement

I don't know how long it took Jess to get over being ticked, but Penny got over it fairly quickly when she was reminded that we were going to my parents' for dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday. Dad's favorite dessert is apple pie, but between Penny's carb count and my diet, I decided to make an apple crumble instead, to serve over the ice cream my parents were already planning on. That went over quite well; I'm looking forward to making it again, with some possible tweaks.

For ME?

And Alex has finally started to figure out that walking is something worth doing -- it's not his primary mode of locomotion yet, but it's definitely getting there.

So, yeah. Good weekend.

Today is MLK, Jr. Day (or, in the South, Lee-Jackson-King Day: don't think I'm not aware of that bit of irony) which means that Matt has the day off from work and both school and daycare are closed. I'm at work, though. We get 9 holidays a year, but some of the smaller holidays (like today, and Columbus Day, etc) got canceled in favor of three "floating" holidays, to be assigned individually by each employee. It works out in everyone's favor -- the company gets its offices open and productive three extra days a year, and the employees get to use those holidays for their own convenience, to extend vacations or take personally significant days (like, say, their birthday or anniversary).

Which is not to say I didn't grumble a little while I was getting dressed this morning. I stayed up last night until almost midnight to finish reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. (I hit the climax at about 9:30, so of course I had to keep going from there!) I might end up at the coffee pot when my breakfast tea is done.

No comments: