Friday, January 16, 2009

Tweet, Tweet

I've started posting my daily to-do goals on twitter each morning. Not everything on my to-do list, which is absurdly long and grows faster than I can keep up, but the list of things that I really have to get done that day and, if there's room left over, the other tasks that I reasonably think I can get done for the day.

It's a useful addendum to the full list, because the full list is rarely less than two pages long (and often up to three) and can be kind of overwhelming. And it doesn't include appointments and meetings, which I do put in the twitter list. So gathering the day's tasks together for twitter forces me to consider exactly how much time I've got to work with, and how long I expect each task to take. It makes me prioritize the tasks on my list and address things on an as-needed basis.

Interestingly, with the day's list in front of me, I'm more productive, mostly because I don't get overwhelmed by the "everything" list and end up doing nothing. I allow myself breaks: Finish this task (or this part of a task) and then I can spend ten minutes skimming my RSS feeds.

It probably makes for boring reading for my twitter followers, but that seems to be the order of the day for twitter, really -- I have friends who tweet flylady tasks, workout progress, waking and sleeping habits, and every leg of every trip (including seat assignments). Twitter seems to be as much for personal reference as it is for communication. It's a peculiar little tool.

No comments: