Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

I hope you had a happy new year -- wild parties with champagne, or a quiet warm evening at home, or anything in between, as long as it makes you happy. And I hope you didn't have a hangover yesterday. Or at least, not too much of one.

We went yesterday to my parents' house to have our family Christmas celebration with them and my brother and his wife.

It was nice. Very low-key. We enjoyed watching Penny open her presents (Alex opened one or two of his, but the rest are waiting for our next visit) and we talked, and we ate good food, and we played with the kids. Nothing crazy.



I do need to slightly revise one of my new year's resolutions: one of my Christmas presents from Matt is six months' rent on a storage unit, starting at the beginning of February. So I'll need to have at least a few boxes ready to go into storage by the end of this month.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. It gives me some incentive to get my behind in gear on that project.

My other gift, which hasn't arrived yet, is a set of shelves for the kitchen. I'm eagerly planning for those, too: The top shelf will be for my cookbooks and the few wineglasses that survived the crash. The bottom shelf will be for storing the soda and juice that currently line the wall. The middle shelves are still sort of up in the air -- I have lots of ideas (tupperware, ziploc/trash bags, medium-use appliances, the flour/sugar cannisters, pantry items, ...) -- I'm just not sure yet what will turn out to be the best arrangement. Any way it works out, I'll be happy to clear off some working space on the counters!




Now I'm at work for what is probably one of the slowest working days of the year. (Second only to the day after Christmas, when there were only four people here. But one of them wasn't me.)

I'm not complaining about that, either. I've got a ton of paperwork to catch up on, and my office is ready for its annual tidying, too -- I need to pack up old files and toss out stuff I don't need anymore and make space for the coming year's files. Having a slow day will help me make a dent in those chores.

Though I won't be getting too much done until about 9. Penny's with me until my dad can make it up to pick her up and take her back home, and as much as I love her, she's not very good at staying quiet and letting me work. (She just finished making herself some reindeer antlers, and now she's playing with my Dress-Me David magnets.)

And I'll be leaving a bit early, so I can pick up Alex from daycare. Normally, that's Matt's job, but we took the rocket seats out of our cars this weekend and replaced them with Penny's old forward-facing carseats, and then we discovered that the seat we put into Matt's car is missing a critical piece of the buckle.

So we need to buy a new carseat for Matt's car, and in the meantime (until this weekend, probably), I'm on Alex-transport duty.




I'll leave you with a Penny anecdote.

"Mom, I want someone to fall in love."

"...Fall in love with who?"

"With me!"

"Well, I love you, a lot!"

"No, Mom! I want a boy to fall in love with me. A prince!"

"Oh. Well, someday, I'm sure someone will fall in love with you, sweetie."

"I want someone to fall in love today."

No comments: